Promoting Food Security in Higher Education: Virtual Dialogue Panel
Date and Time
Online - Register for details
From busy exam schedules, to balancing coursework, jobs and relationships, to navigating the everyday stresses of university life, students face many factors that can impact their health and wellbeing. But for some, especially BIPOC students, lack of financial access to nutritious, culturally-appropriate food to fuel their busy days adds an additional layer of worry and challenge, particularly in light of COVID-19, and the additional impacts on affordability it has had for many.
This event, hosted by the University of British Columbia and supported by Meal Exchange, CESI, McMaster University and the University of Ottawa will explore food insecurity within a campus context through panel discussions, dialogues on research, lived experience, food environments and more. The goal is to strengthen our common understanding of food insecurity and best practices on campuses, and to work towards a higher education food security coalition that can continue to collaborate on finding tangible solutions for this complex issue.
This virtual dialogue panel will include the following speakers:
- Sumin Roy, Executive Director Meal Exchange (Moderator)
- Paul Taylor, Executive Director of FoodShare Toronto
- Gwen Chapman, Interim Provost and VP Academic, University of Guelph
- Gurneet Kaur Dhami, MSc Candidate, Mount Saint Vincent University
- Kayla Weiler, National Executive Representative, Canadian Federation of Students - Ontario
For more information, please visit the Promoting Food Security in Higher Education event page.